Garret and Jennifer Jones

Garret and Jennifer Jones
Garrett and Jennifer Jones

Saturday, March 8, 2014

July 1, 2013

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BRANDON

July 1, 2013 at 9:50pm
Wow, 32 years ago tomorrow, (07/01) you made you grand entrance  six weeks earlier than you were scheduled to. But you mom and I had waited for 7 years for that day, and you definately made it memorable. You were taken to UAB hospital, while mom remained at Princeton Baptist. Undeveloped lungs forced a separation that was extremely hard on mom and me. But I was finally a dad. Remember the day we were in the car and you asked me if we could get you another brother? I explained with you and Kevin being preemies and sick a lot, that Mom and I didn't think we would need anymore kids. You bowed your head right there and prayed out loud, "Dear God, daddy says I can't have another brother. But he told me you listen to my prayers. So I am asking YOU for another baby brother. Amen".  Garrett was born 10 months later. That should have been a sign right there.
 I had dreams for you. You were going to be a great preacher. I didn't really want you to be a music director, because I don't feel that we really evcer get to see the fruits of our labor. Very few folks get down to the altar during a solo, or choir special or singing portion of a service. I would say 99 percent of the time, it's after a sermon. We (music directors) just won't ever know till we get there if there is a crown for some soul saved. But preachers have a pretty good advantage over getting folks in the altar, so that was my dream for you.
And I learned the hard way, be careful what you ask God for. A group called Fortress once had you come backstage with them to pray for the concert they were about to do. And I was told later on, that every one of those guys had tears in their eyes when you finished praying. They knew God was going to use this nine year old boy in a very special way. And did He ever. After cancer hit, we were leaving a service where you had spoken, and dozens of kids accepted Christ. I was blown away. I told you that I really wished God would give me the cancer, and let you preach. You very plainly and wisely, told me that what just happened in that service IS why you had cancer. Young people would listen to you. They wouldn't listen to me. And as your ministry grew, so did the comments from pastors that you were the closest thing to a modern day Paul they had ever heard. I was so proud. I had my preacher.
Thank you for teaching me about faith. How to live day to day trusting God for whatever. And for teaching me how a Christian faces their own death, and that of loved ones. I was better prepared the second time.
Happy birthday, Son #1. Gosh, I miss you! Mom and I went to Baumhauer's tonight and I had your usual! I wanted to go to Krispy Kreme and get a dozen Hot Now's and a pint of milk in your memory, too. But diabetics can't do that. Are there Krispy Kreme's in Heaven?
Love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment