Garret and Jennifer Jones

Garret and Jennifer Jones
Garrett and Jennifer Jones

Friday, July 29, 2011

Mixed Emotions

From soon after Garretts and Jennifers meeting, Tues or Thursday nights were the night when when Kevin and Marlo and Garrett and Jennifer would come over to eat. It was usually recipitated by a phone call from one of the sons asking for fried chicken, or weiners and krout or some other favorite that their taste buds were craving. Heck, half the time they would call that morning and Janell would always say come on and then make a mad dash to the store on the way home. Finally she got smart and established the 24-hr rule. And that worked most of the time. And Jennifer caught on real fast. She'd get the urge for something and persuade Garrett to call and pretend it was his request.
I believe it was two weeks before the storm that Jenn and Garrett made their last dinner reservations. Kevin and Marlo were on a cruise, so it was just the four of us. But when it was six, oh was it ever a circus. One brother crackin on the other, or both making fun of their old dad for something he once did. One of them bringing up something that Brandon did and they were a part of or knew about that was never exposed to Janell and I. Kevin asking for the tea pitcher to be passed down, and Garrett emptying his own glass and then refilling it before passing the pitcher to his waiting brother. These were nights I waited for. The grandkids were at their other grandparents house so sometimes the conversations would turn to adult subjects tha 30 years ago, parents and their kids NEVER discussed. Come on folks, you know what I'm talking about because it probably goes on around your table sometimes, if you have adult kids. But none the less, I will always remember them.
Yesterday, Kevin called and made reservations for tonight. First time for them since March. I wondered how the four of us would handle it. Seemed like everyone did OK except me. I hung in there OK until talk turned to the recent arrival of the bills from UAB for Garretts medical care. Then my mind just started that replay of that 5 1/2 weeks, and I tried to put a pause on my minds projector. The first one is now over, and the next will be easier, and the next, and the next. But I don't want them to stop. Just get easier. And they will, I know. One day we will all sit around the great banquet table and partake of what has been prepared by the angels. Now, I doubt there will be any pull my finger, or risque conversations going on at our table. But one thing is for sure. We have all called ahead and made our reservations. I hope each of you have.
I'll be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment